Thursday, July 17, 2008

Consumer Whoredom of the Week: Junk-Kicking Tea Tree Toothpicks



Emily noted that I had not yet posted a Consumer Whoredom of the week. So here it is!

Thursday Plantations Tea Tree Australian Chewing Sticks
After high recommendations from my friend Emily, I tried out the tea tree tooth picks to help me quit smoking last year. Unfortunately, I had just moved to Chicago and my access to them was a bit limited. I weened myself off smoking and had quit for about 4 months. However, social desires brought me back to the old smokies. Anyway, I moved back to Ithaca since and I've been trying out the toothpicks at the Oasis on Buffalo. The brand is called Preserve: Flavored Toothpicks. The small cylindrical container was easy to carry around and pretty useful design-wise. I tried the "Cinnamint" flavor but I found it to be lacking in zest. That is, it tasted more like a piece of balsa wood with vaguely minty/cinnamon-y flavor.

Em recommended the Thursday Plantations Tea Tree Chewing Sticks over the Preserve brand. The rectangular box is simple but also less aesthetically interesting. On a practical level, the compact Preserve container has a smaller "disaster" if it opens in your bag, holding only 35 toothpicks compared to Thursday Plantations' 100. But, for what they lack in design, Thursday Plantations toothpicks make up in taste. They are definitely have a "Kick-You-In-The-Junk" flavor, as Emily described. I think if you know Emily, it's an auspicious occasion when she uses mildly profane language.

Cost: $3.50

Where Found: Greenstar (Not the little hippie co-op, the big one)

Pros: A Great Substitute for Gum and/or Cigarettes... helping to satisfy that oral fixation. It's the Altoids of the toothpick market.

Cons: Splinters - yeah, you know what happens when you chew a toothpick? It breaks down into soggy wooden fibers. Just be conscious of how much you salivate/chew, and you'll avoid swallowing any wood.

Consumer Whore Index: 1 Pair of Panties out of 5 - It's cheap and fun!

No comments: