Friday, February 26, 2010

Assignment 2 - Tiny Things

This is Week 2 of my writing class. See this previous post for the details of how they are structured.

Spark:
"Tiny Things" - Zee's friend went to a Valen-TINY party the theme of which was small things (such as mini cupcakes, tiny cookies, etc.).

My Take:
Tiny things that have a big impact

It's the point of the winter where everything i own is fuzzy. The small gray pills grown on my gloves ,coat and scarf like the tiny denizens of cloth villages. The journey begins each fall when I have such lofty hopes of keeping these things pristine. I march into TJ Maxx the day I've finally caved and admitted the reality of frozen fingers and wind-whipped faces. I guy some brand-named out wear: gauntlets, chain mail and a helmet. They are my implements of war against oncoming winter. Living in the northeast, I know that it is an annual battle that always drags on to the point where I consider surrender by either hibernating, limiting my ventures beyond the borders of my apartment, and considering exile in San Diego.

Every day a battle wages, costing the souls of a million snowflakes, whose lives are fast and furious as they careen out of their snow cloud motherland and straight into my face like a legion of kamikaze pilots. I feel no sympathy for them as I wield a plastic sword to scrape the troop build up off the windshield.

"There always more where that came from," my boyfriend says to me as he ejects a small wet army from his boots, climbing into his Honda equivalent of a humvee.

"My God man. 4-6 inches? We'll have to retreat to home base," he orders upon hearing the weather report.

"Washington is buried," he explains to me solemnly, gravity in his voice. "They're calling it the SNOW-POCALYPSE now."

"Thank God it's not us," I reply as we retreat back to homebase.

Day 43:
Each day becomes more weary. Low morale starts to set in and the fibers of my coat, hat, and scarf look uneasy. They've warped and curled. They look like they need a shave.

Day 74: My mother hands me a bag.

"I've got you one too," she says excitedly. I reach into the bag. She's been telling me of this secret weapon she found at Big Lots for only $3.00. She's been wearing it for weeks around her own neck.

"It's the ultimate weapon. The best scarf I've ever had," she explains. "I've worn it all winter long."

As I pull it out, I realize that I don't have the heart to tell her it's actually a blanket.

No comments: